INGILIZCE TESTler 9

FaKiR

Meþveret Bþk.
HEI2A02 : ENGLISH
Friday October 14th 2007
Enseignement de Monsieur Floyd Humphrey
CONTROLE CONTINU
No document allowed
Put the verbs in the correct tense. (20 points)

1. I (to study) ______________________________________ English for three years.
  2. He (to go) ____________________________ to London a month ago.
  3. I’m now living in Paris, where I (to live) _______________________________ for five years.
  4. My brother is now in New York where he (to be) ____________________________ for a year.
  5. The police (to arrest) _______________________________ the gangster when he (to come) ____________________________ out of the restaurant.
  6. I (to buy) _________________________________ this house in 1975 and I (to be) ________________________________ here for a few years.
  7. I (to need) _________________________ help last week, but this week, I (not to need) ___________________________________ any yet.
  8. The crook (to be arrested) _________________________________ last year and (to be) ___________________________ in prison ever since.
  9. It (to take) ___________________________ me an hour to go to the shops yesterday morning.
  10. We (to earn) _______________________________ a lot of money in this company.
  11. He (to be) _____________________________ often in trouble.
  12. There (not to be) __________________________________ a hold up in that bank for years.
  13. The reporter (to tell) _______________________________ his boss he (to want) ____________________________ to go to Germany.
  14. He (to give) __________________________________me a present for my birthday.
  15. She (to work) _________________________________here for ten years.
Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form. (20 points)

A funny thing happened to me the other day. I (be) _______________________ in a hurry to get to work and I found that my car wasn’t working. I (have) ______________________ to rush out of the house to catch the bus. While I (walk) _______________________________ along the street. I (notice) ___________________________ a woman of about my age on the opposite side of the road. I looked at her again and I (realize) _________________________ that we (meet) ________________________________ before. She arrived at the bus stop a couple of seconds after me. ‘She must be catching the bus, too,’ I thought. We (just miss) _________________________________ the previous bus and we had fifteen minutes to wait before the next one. I looked at the woman behind me again and I was sure that I (know) ________________________ her.

‘Excuse me, have we met before? I’m sure that I (recognise) _________________________ you,’ I said.
She looked a bit surprised, but she (tell) ___________________________ me that her name was Angela Baker.
‘You (study) ____________________________________ history at Liverpool University’ I shouted, from 1985 to 1988!’
‘That’s right,’ she replied, ‘and you’re Claire …….?’
‘Lewis. Well, my name was Lewis but I (be) ___________________________ married now. What (do) ________________ you ______________________ nowadays?’ I asked.
‘Well, I (work) ___________________________ in the Central Museum in town and I (live) ______________________ in the area, in George Street, for about three years, she replied.
‘You’re joking! I live round the corner from there. I (not believe) __________________________ it! We (be) __________________________ neighbours for three years and we (see) ________________________ never ______________________ each other!’ I said.
‘I know, it’s incredible’ she (agree) __________________, ‘and I’m glad that you spoke to me because I wondered why you (look) _______________________ at me all the time!’

Read the following email. Put the verbs in brackets into the past simple, present perfect simple, or present perfect continuous. (20 points)

Dear Ken,
I’m just writing to let you know how I’m getting on with the marketing trip. Sorry I (not/be) __________________________ in touch for so long, but I (be) ________________________ very busy since I (arrive) _________________________ here on the 18th.
There is lots of interest in the new organic fertiliser. Last week I (go) __________________ to Sydney, where I (meet) ___________________ a number of farmers and (see) ________________ a couple of agents. I (leave) _____________________ Sydney last Sunday and (be) ____________________________ here in Darwin since then, making a few useful contacts.
So far the feedback at all my meetings (be) ____________________________ very positive and I can say that I (never/have) _________________________________ such an enthusiastic response to a new product. I keep hearing the same thing – that interest in organic farming (grow) ________________________________ for the last few years; more and more consumers (buy) ________________________________ organic food, and it looks as if this will continue.
Last night I (have) _______________________ dinner with Barry Thomas – you may remember him – he (work) ________________________ for Agrichem London for a couple of years in the 90’s, and then (come) _____________________ over here to set up on his own. For the last year or so he (act) ________________________________ as a distributor for some of our agricultural machinery, and he is interested in becoming a distributor for the fertiliser. I (not/give) _______________________________ him an answer yet, but I think he could be a good choice.
I’d better get this off to you now – I (just/had) ______________________________ a phone call from another farmer who (hear) _____________________ about the fertiliser on a radio programme that (go) _____________________ out this morning. I’ll be in touch soon.
Best wishes,
Jim

Complete these sentences by putting one verb in the past simple and the other in the past perfect continuous. (10 points)

1. When he finally (retire) ________________________________, he (work) for the company for 20 years.
  2. We (wait) _________________________________ for over five hours by the time the plane finally (leave) ________________________________.
  3. When they (make) _______________________ the breakthrough, they (try) _________________________________ to solve the problem for two years.
  4. He finally (decode) ____________________________________ to see a doctor because he (not/feel) ______________________________ well for months.
  5. When the accident (happen) __________________________, he (drive) ________________________________ the lorry for 13 hours without a break.

Put the verbs in the present simple or the present continuous. (10 points)

1. Where (you/come)_________________________________________?
  2. I’m in the pharmaceutical research division. Currently we (develop) _______________________________ a new drug for heart disease.
  3. I’m afraid Mr Bush is out, he (have) _______________________________ lunch with Mr Sarkozy.
  4. As a rule, cuts in interest rates (help) _________________________________ companies to create jobs.
  5. TJR is a small company that (produce) ____________________________ software for engineering firms.
  6. I (use) ________________________________ a company car this week because mine is at the garage.
  7. As a rule my manager (go) ___________________________ abroad once or twice a month.
  8. Because of global warming, sea levels (rise) ________________________ slowly.
  9. I’m on the flight that (get) _____________________________ in at 12.15.
  10. I’m sorry this is a bad line – where (you/call) ____________________________ from?

Put the verbs in brackets in the past simple, the past continuous, or the past perfect. (20 points)

1. I (not/pay) ________________________________ the cheque in because the bank (already/shut) _____________________________ by the time I got there.
  2. Anja (not/pick up) ____________________________________ the phone because she (deal) ___________________________________ with another customer when it rang.
  3. While I (travel) ___________________________________ in South America, I (get) ____________________________ the idea for my new business venture.
  4. I (take) ________________________________ the car to the garage this morning because it (make) ______________________________ a strange noise.
  5. They (still/not/pay) ________________________________________ their bill, so we (send) __________________________________ them a second reminder.
  6. When I (reach) ______________________________________ the airport, the flight (already/close) ___________________________________, so I waited for the next one.
  7. Jason (be) _____________________________ worried about last week’s presentation because he (not/prepare) ________________________________ his talk.
  8. Sheila was very happy when I last (see) _________________________ her because she (just/get) ____________________________________ a salary increase.
  9. He (lost) ___________________________________ his passport while he (travel) _______________________________________ to the conference.
  10. While I (check) __________________________ the figures, I (notice) _________________________ a couple of mistakes.

Change the verbs in brackets using ‘will’, ‘going to’ or the present continuous. (10 points)
- Did I see Cathy driving into town just now?
- Yes, she (get) ________________________________ some cash from the bank.

- I need to see the price list soon – today if possible.

- OK – give me your address and I (email) ________________________________ it to you now.

- I’m afraid that we’ve sold out of the green folders.

- I see – OK, I (take) ______________________________ the blue ones instead.

- Are you sure to get your money back?

- Yes – the guarantee says that they (give) ___________________________ you a refund at any time for any reason.

- Have you seen their new plans for the Sports Centre?

- No – What (they/do) __________________________________________________ ?

- I think I’d better go now – I’ve got a busy weekend ahead.

- Really? What (you/do) ________________________________________________?
- Well, tonight I (have) _________________________________ dinner with the Jamesons, and then tomorrow morning I (drive) ______________________________ to Bristol with Frau Müller for a conference.
- That’s quite a journey – how long (it/take) __________________________________?
- About six or seven hours. Of course it means we (need) ___________________________ to leave early because the conference starts at 11.

Üst