FaKiR

Meþveret Bþk.
HEI2A02 : ENGLISH
Friday May 16th 2008
Enseignement de Monsieur Floyd Humphrey
FINAL EXAM
No document allowed
TOTAL : /200

1. Complete the text with the appropriate form of the present simple or continuous.

Since the corporation was invented it has been widely accepted that bringing activities together into one large company (lower) __________________ ‘transactional’ and communication costs, and that suppliers and manufacturers (have) __________________ market power due to their knowledge of markets. However, nowadays the internet (eliminate) ______________ the physical costs of communication. As a result it (become) ___________________ more profitable to outsource many activities. Power (shift) _________________ to the customer who could be either another business or the end-user.
All this raises two burning questions. Firstly, (it/mean) ____________________ that the supplier will no longer be the seller but become the buyer for the customer? Secondly, (diversification/change) ______________________________________ the structure of companies? The answer to both questions at the moment is yes for many business sectors. Some of the US’s largest pharmaceutical companies (not/manufacture) _________________________________________________ drugs themselves anymore. During this transition period, they (wholesale) _______________________ every kind of pharmacy product as well. At the annual conference for managers in the pharmaceutical sector, which (take place) ________________________ next month, the main topic will surely be what to outsource to smaller companies next. (10 POINTS)

2. Complete the text. Use the correct form of the verb in brackets.

Every year, electronics engineer Ian Brown (compete) ______________________ in the London Marathon. He (begin) _______________ competing in 1994 and since then (raise) __________________________ over £36,000 for charity. He usually (train) ______________ most evenings and weekends. He first (become) _______________________ interested in running when he (meet) _______________________ Fiona Wells, a famous long-distance runner. They (know) __________________________ each other for more than six years now and last month they (decide) _____________________________ to get married. At the moment they (discuss) ____________________________ where to spend their honeymoon. They may decide to go to Canada, as they (never, have) ________________________ a holiday there before. (10 POINTS)

3. Put if, as soon as or before into the gaps with no verb, and put the verbs in brackets in the correct form.

David Bye darling! Good luck with the interview!
Sue Thanks. I’ll need it. I hope the trains are running on time. _________ I ____________ (be) late for the interview, I _____________________ (be) furious with myself!
David Just stay calm! Call me when you can.
Sue I will. I _____________________ (call) you on my mobile ____________ I ____________ (get) out of the interview.
David When _____________ you ________________(know) __________________ you’ve got the job?
Sue They ______________________ (tell) me in the next few days. ______________ they_____________ (offer) me the job, I ___________________ (accept) it. You know that, don’t you?
David Of course. But we’ll worry about that later.
Sue Ok. Are you going to work now?
David Well, I __________________ (take) the children to school ______________ I _____________ (go) to work.
Sue Don’t forget to pick them up ________________ you ___________________(finish).
David Don’t worry, I won’t forget. You’d better get going. _______________ you ______________ (not hurry) you ______________________ (miss) the train.
Sue Ok. I’ll see you this evening. Bye! (20 POINTS)

4. Complete the dialogue with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.

Andy: You know, if you (use) ________________________ public transport instead of driving to work every day last year, I’m sure you (save) ___________________________ a lot of money!
John: You’re right. And if petrol prices (keep) _____________________ going up the way they have done recently, it (start) __________________________ to cost me even more. But it’s not just the money – it’s so much more convenient by car. If I (not/own) ______________________________ a car, I (have/to) __________________________
take the bus to the station and then take the train, adding an extra hour a day onto my journey.
Andy: Well, if I (be) _______________ you, I (make) _________________________ an arrangement with a colleague and take it in turns to drive. That way, you (not/waste) __________________________ any time and you (save) _________________________ money too. (10 POINTS)

5. Put the verb in brackets in the correct tense. Sometimes there is more than one possibility.

When Sally (go) _______________ to college next month, she (find) ___________________ everything a little strange at first. She’ll probably be a bit lonely until she (make) _________________ a few friends. She (go) ____________________ to Oxford by train. It (leave) at 12.00, so she should be there by 3.00. She (study) _________________________ economics, because she’s always been interested in business. She (have) _________________ lectures with the famous Professor Edmond, who is the Head of Department. I hope she (like) _______________ him. She (have) _________________________ a big party with all her friends before she goes. We’ve said that we’ll visit her in Oxford as soon as she (settle) _______________________________ in. (10 POINTS)

6. Complete the information about champagne using the passive form of the verbs in brackets.

Since the beginning of the 20th century, more champagne (export) _________________________________ to the UK than to any other country, except in 1992. In that year, the highest total (sell) ____________________________ to Germany.
In the 17th century, many bottles of champagne (lose) __________________________ because the glass was not strong enough to resist the pressure. The problem (solve) _________________________ when verre anglais (introduce) _________________________. This was a much stronger glass which (produce) __________________________ in Britain in the 17th century.
Some champagne houses (hit) ___________________________ very badly by the Russian Revolution. Ten percent of total champagne production (import) __________________________ by Russian royalty and aristocracy before the revolution. This market disappeared overnight.
Champagne (sell) ____________________________ in eleven different bottle sizes. The smallest is a quarter bottle and it contains twenty centilitres. The biggest, which (call) __________________________ a Nebuchadnezzar, contains sixteen litres, and is the equivalent of twenty normal 75 centilitres bottles. (10 POINTS)

7. Report the following statements and questions.

1. ‘Do you want to go for a drink?’ they asked.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
2. ‘We’ve decided to get married,’ they told their parents.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
3. ‘How many times have you been to the United States?’ she asked me.
4. ‘I won’t be able to leave until seven o’clock,’ he told me.
5. ‘I can’t swim very well,’ she said.
6. ‘We took a taxi to the station,’ they told me.
7. ‘Our luggage has been damaged,’ they said.
8. ‘Are you going to school tomorrow?’ he asked me.
9. ‘We may stay until the weekend,’ they said.
10. ‘Where have you been living?’ they asked.
(20 POINTS)

8. Report the following dialogues using the words below.

Ask beg suggest refuse admit advise invite promise complain deny
Example: ‘Shut the door, Jill!’ Linda said. ‘Don’t forget to say please!’ Jill replied.
Linda told Jill to shut the door and Jill reminded her to say please.
1. ‘Please, please lend me some money! My brother said. You ought to go to the bank for a loan,’ I replied.
My brother __________________________________________________ ________________
__________________________________________________ _________________________.
2. ‘Would you like to come with me to see the new Jurassic Park film?’ Karen asked.
‘No, not really, but thanks anyway,’ John said.
Karen __________________________________________________ ____________________
__________________________________________________ _________________________
3. ‘Can you help me with my homework, Dad?’ Ben asked ‘Yes of course I will definitely help you after dinner,’ his dad replied.
Ben __________________________________________________ _____________________
__________________________________________________ ________________________.
4. ‘This is a boring town!’ my sister said. ‘Why don’t you move to London?’ I replied.
My sister __________________________________________________ _________________
5. ‘Yes it was me who stole the money,’ David said. ‘But it was nothing to do with me,’ Simon added.
David __________________________________________________ ____________________
(10 POINTS)

9. Complete the sentences with must or can’t and a suitable verb.

1. They have only just got married but they ______________________ very happy because they spend a lot of time apart;

1. They’re always well dressed. They _________________________________ a lot of money on clothes.
  2. Their children don’t go to school. Their parents ___________________________ them at home.
  3. How could you have seen Maria, she’s away on holiday. You ___________________________ her twin sister, Andrea.
  4. I only put the food in the oven ten minutes ago, so it ___________________________ hot enough yet. (5 POINTS)

10. Look at the letter from Mary to her friend, Ann, who lives in France. There are 25 gaps. After some gaps there is a verb in brackets. Put the verb in the correct tense. When there is no verb in brackets, write a suitable word – perhaps a preposition, an auxiliary verb, a conjunction, an adverb, etc.
Dear Ann,
Thanks for the letter. It was great to _________________ from you. So, what _____________ I _____________________ (do) recently? Well, my friend Bev, _______________________
_____________________ (stay) with me for the past two weeks. I don’t think you’ve met Bev, _________________ you? I ___________________________ her since we were at university together. She’s the one that ________________________ (try) to get a job in Africa since she _______________________________ (graduate) last year. Without success I’m afraid.
Anyway, we are having a great time. The weather _________________________________ (be) wonderful for weeks now, so we ____________________________ (drive) round the countryside. I wonder ___________ you are having such good weather in France. We have visited quite a few little villages around Oxford. I didn’t know there ________________ (be) so many nice places to see round here. Then Bev said she __________ never _____________ (be) to Stonehenge, so we went there, too. _______ Saturday, Harry ____________________ (invite) Bev and me to dinner. He cooked a lovely meal. But I’m a bit worried about him – he ____________________________ (drink) too much recently. He ____________________ (drink) two bottles of wine ________________ we were there on Saturday. He said he ______________ (be) under a lot of pressure at work since his promotion. But alcohol won’t help, ______________ it?
Bev _____________________ (go) back to London the day _______________ tomorrow. She’s asked me ___________ go with her. I’d love to, but unfortunately I haven’t got ___________ time. I have some visitors arriving _____________ the end of the week! I’ve no ______________ when I’m next coming to France, but I hope it will be too long. Take care.
Love,
Mary (25 POINTS)

11. Complete the article. Use the comparative or superlative form of the adjectives in the brackets.

In a recent Which Airlines? survey of 61 airlines, the low-cost airline easyJet was voted one of the ________________ (good) airlines, along with the famous names like Singapore Airlines, Emirates, SAS, and Thai Airways. Ryanair had a ___________________ (low) rating than easyJet but, not surprisingly, all the no-frills airlines got the ___________________(high) ratings for value for money and the _________________ (bad) ratings for leg room and seat comfort.
The __________________________ (important) thing to remember is to book early and to be flexible about dates. Travelling at weekends and on Fridays and Mondays is _____________________ (expensive) than the other days of the week because flights on those days are ______________________ (crowded). To get the ____________________ (cheap) fare, fly on the ________________________ (early) or the __________________ (late) flights on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays. It is _______________________ (good) to book online than on the phone because all the airlines give a discount for online bookings.
In general, no-frills airlines have a _____________________ (bad) record for punctuality than the traditional airlines and there _______________________ (many) complaints about delays from customers of low-cost airlines than from other airlines. If there is a technical problem it usually means a _______________________ (long) delay than the other airlines because low-cost airlines have ____________________ (few) aircraft.
If you need to change a passenger name or flight booking it’s ____________________ (easy) with some airlines than with others. For example with easyJet you pay £10 to make any change, plus the extra money if the fare for t he new booking is ____________________ (high). Ryanair has a much ______________________________ (complicated) system, with seven different types of fare. As a general guide, the __________________________ (high) fares are the ___________________________ (flexible). (20 POINTS)

12. Complete the dialogues with a lot of/lots of, much, or many.

A Hello, Jim, you’re early!
B Yes, there wasn’t __________________ traffic this morning. How _______________ people are coming to my presentation?
A Have you got _________________ information about the new company?
B No, but a colleague gave me __________________ advice on where to find it.
A Sue, how _______________________ business did you make last month, and how ___________________ money did you spend on meals with customers?
B I need to work it out. Can I call you tomorrow?
A Did you have ____________________ meetings last week?
B Yes, every day. I didn’t have ______________________ time for anything else!
A Was there _________________ news about the economic crisis in the paper today?
B Not really, but there were _________________________ articles about the changes the government is introducing. (10 POINTS)

13 Complete the sentences. Write the gerund or infinitive of the verb in brackets.

1. Do you remember _______________________ (stay) in this village when you were a child?

1. Will you remember _____________________ (book) a table in the restaurant for next Saturday evening?
  2. After working continuously for six hours, they stopped __________________ (have) a meal.
  3. I know for sure that we placed an order with them. I remember _________________ (send) them the form myself.
  4. The meeting had gone on for two hours already, so we stopped __________________________________________________ __________________.
  5. I’ll never forget __________________________________________________ _____.
  6. I’m a very organised person. I like ________________________________________
  7. I am looking forward to _________________________________________________
  8. A lot of people object to _________________________________________________
  9. I have quite a lot of responsibilities at work. In addition to ______________________
__________________________________________________ ___________________
(20 POINTS)

14 Put the verb in brackets in the correct tense.

Mrs Hay ___________________________ (drive) along a small country road when she ________________ (see) a man at the side of the road. He ________________________ (wave) and pointing to his car. Mrs Hay __________________ (stop) and ________________ (ask) the man if he was alright.
‘My car’s broken down,’ said the man
‘Where do you want __________________ (go) asked Mrs Hay.
‘London,’ replied the man.
‘Well I ___________________________ (not go) to London, but I __________________ (give) you a lift to the station if you like.’
On the way to the station they chatted.
‘_________________ you __________________ (work) in London?’ asked Mrs Hay.
‘No I don’t. I ________________ (run) my own business in Oxford. But today I _____________________ (have) lunch with a friend in London – we always _____________ (have) lunch together on Fridays. I promised _____________________ (meet) her at one o’clock’.
‘There’s a train at 11.30. I don’t think you _______________________ (be) late for your appointment.’
When they arrived at the station, a train ________________________ (stand) at the platform.
‘That’s your train,’ said Mrs Hay.
‘You _________________________ (catch) it if you are quick.’
After the man __________________ (get) out of the car. Mrs Hay ______________________ (drive) away. A few minutes later she realised that she _________________________ (make) a mistake: it was the wrong train. She went back to the station, but the train wasn’t there: it __________________ already ____________________ (leave)! She went into the station and asked at the information desk where the train was going..
‘Edinburgh,’ the information clerk told her.
‘Where does it stop next?’ asked Mrs Hay.
‘It’s the express service,’ the clerk told her. It doesn’t stop until it gets to Edinburgh;’

Üst