INGILIZCE TESTler 5

FaKiR

Meþveret Bþk.
No document allowed

[FONT=&quot]AFTER READING THE FOLLOWING ARTICLE CAREFULLY ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTION (If you copy chunks of the text you will be penalised):

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1. Explain in detail the specific business strategies of all the entrepreneurs listed below. What do we learn about entrepreneurship in Africa? 250 words max (20 points)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Getting started: African entrepreneurs in their own words[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Guardian.co.uk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot], Monday 25 May 2009 17.13 BST[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In a climate where banks will not take chances and loan institutions charge 25% interest, African entrepreneurs rely on friends and family to set up their businesses.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ncedo Kanti[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot], 25, runs a small telephone centre from an old shipping container in Gugulethu township, near Cape Town, South Africa. "No one in Gugulethu has a landline and not everyone can afford their own mobile phone. My service is to offer three phones, connected to the MTN mobile network, and people come into the container to make their calls. I also sell [mobile phone] air time.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The only reason I managed to get my business off the ground is that I was supported by Mzoli Ngcawuzele, who is a famous businessman … He wanted more activity near his businesses so he let me have the plot. My family helped me with the guarantees I needed to hire the container, and MTN came in and painted it and kitted it out. I have been here for 18 months but I am still not paying myself a salary despite working 14-hour days, seven days a week."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lilian Kessy[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot], 29, has distributed Coca-Cola for three years in Kindondoni, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. "My business is to distribute Coca-Cola products to vendors … The bottling plant delivers 1,723 cases to me by truck each week. I employ five staff, each of whom is paid 100,000 shillings per month [£48], to deliver the crates of drink using three pushcarts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It will be quite a while before I turn a healthy profit because I had a setback in 2007 when my husband left me and stole all my stock. I had loans to repay and school fees, and no empties to send back to Coca-Cola for new stock. However, the bottling plant were supportive and gave me an advance on empties, which I have now paid back.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Getting started in business is very difficult in Tanzania even if you have A-levels like me. I got a micro-credit loan of 5m shillings [£2,350] and a further 5m shillings from a women's saving society. But the interest rate is 25% on both. The ordinary bank did not want to help even though I am the owner of a plot."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sanjay Patel[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot], 33, owns a computer shop in Bombo Road, Kampala, Uganda. "I have had the shop for 18 months and I work here with my wife, Nehal … I worked independently in the IT business for seven years and that has helped me build up a client base.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The shop became a possibility after the launch of the Uganda Green Computer Company. It refurbishes PCs that are thrown out by corporations in Europe and collected by the UN Industrial Development Organisation. They are loaded with Microsoft software and sold through people like me for $175 [£110].[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The economic crisis has had a harsh impact … the currency has fallen by a third against the dollar since I opened the shop. The banks would not give me a loan but I am grateful for that now. I raised my capital through friends and pay just 3% interest."[/FONT]

Üst