FaKiR

Meþveret Bþk.
HEI2A02 : ENGLISH
Friday June 20th 2008
Enseignement de Monsieur Floyd Humphrey
FINAL EXAM (session de rattrapage)
No document allowed
Section 1. (20 points)
Put the verbs in the correct form, present simple or continuous.
CONVERSATION 1
A- What ___________________________________________ (you/do)?
B- ______________________________ (pack) my suitcase. I ____________________ (leave) you.
A- But I _________________________________ (not/understand). Where ____________________ (you/go)?
B- I _______________________________ (not/know). The only thing I _________________ (know) is that Peter _________________________ (meet) me at the airport at six o’clock.
CONVERSATION 2
A- What _______________________________________ (that man/do) over there?
B- He _______________________________ (wait) for the bank to open.
A- But the banks __________________________________ (not/open) on Saturday afternoons.
B- ______________________________ (you/think) he’s a bank robber? Watch out! He ______________________________ (take) something out of his pocket. He _________________________ (walk) towards us!
C- Excuse me. Could you tell me the time, please?
Complete the pairs of sentences with the verb in italics. Use the present simple for one and the present continuous for the other.
Think
I ________________________________ of learning how to fly a plane.
I ________________________________ that’s a good idea.
See
____________ you __________________ what I mean?
What time ______________________ you _____________________ the bank manager?
Have
She ____________________________ a wonderful suntan.
She ____________________________ a wonderful time in Spain.

SECTION 2 (20 POINTS)

Complete the sentences with the appropriate form of the present simple or continuous.

1. She is the director of a company which ____________________________ (manufacture) biotech drugs.
  2. She usually ________________________________ (not/finish) until late in the evening.
  3. Right now the company_____________________________ (look) for a new CEO.
  4. It _____________________________ (take) longer than they thought it would..
  5. They ____________________________ (know) that choosing the right person is critical.
  6. The company__________________________ (go) through a difficult time at the moment.
  7. We ___________________________ (not/move) into our new offices until next year.
Look at the text CATCHING A PLANE. Put the verb in the correct form, present simple active or present simple passive.
When you ___________________________ (arrive) at an airport, you should go to the check-in desk where your ticket and luggage ___________________________________ (check). You ________________________ (keep) your hand luggage with you but your suitcase ____________________________ (take) to the plane on a conveyor belt. You can now go to the departure lounge. If you are on an international flight, your passport _____________________ (check), and then you and your bags ________________________ (x-ray) by security cameras, sometimes you ____________________________ (give) a body search and your luggage _____________________________ (search) by a security officer. You ______________________________ (wait) in the departure lounge until your flight _______________________________ (call) and you ________________________ (tell) which number gate to go to. Finally, you __________________________ (board) your plane and you ____________________________ (show) to your seat.

SECTION 3 (20 POINTS)

Put in, on, at, or nothing into each gap.
-‘It’s my birthday _________ next week.’
-‘When?’
-‘________ Monday.’
-‘_________ what time were you born?’
-‘________ 8.00 _______ the morning.’
-‘I’m meeting Alan this _________ this evening.’
-‘What time?’
-‘________ six.’
-‘What did you do ________ the weekend?’
-‘______ Friday evening we went to a party. We slept in late ______ Saturday morning, and then ________ the afternoon we went shopping. __________ 7.00 some friends came round for a drink. We didn’t do anything _______ Sunday. What did you do?’
The weather in England is unreliable. ________ summer it can be hot, but it often rains _____ April and June._______ last year the summer was awful. The best English weather is ______ spring and autumn.
I learned to drive _______ 1980 ________ the age of 17. My brother learned ____ the same time as me, but I passed first.

SECTION 4 (20 POINTS)

Complete the sentences with either the first, second or third conditionals.

1. If there _________________ (be) high consumer demand for a brand it ______________ (be) vulnerable to counterfeiting.
  2. If so much of a product’s worth __________________________ (is/not) tied up in brand and intellectual property it _______________________ (not/be) so easy to sell poor quality substitutes.
  3. If I ___________________ (have) enough money, I ______________________ (buy) a real Rolex but I just didn’t, so I bought a fake.
  4. If local counterfeiters only __________________ (pay) a fine of $1,000 when they are caught they _________________ (keep/on) producing counterfeit goods.
  5. There ____________________ (not/be) so many imitation drugs on the market if the prices of the genuine products _______________________ (not/be) so high.
  6. If we _________________ (not/drop) our prices in the region I think we ________________ (be) vulnerable to counterfeiting by local companies.
  7. We __________________________ (not/manufacture) locally if we ___________________ (not/trust) them to produce only the agreed quantities. It’s been fine so far.
  8. If I ________________________ (know) it was a fake, I _______________________ (not/buy) it.
  9. We’re considering introducing some sophisticated anti-counterfeiting features but it _____________________ (cost) a lot of money if we ___________________ (use) them.
  10. I ____________________________ (not/work) for a counterfeiter if I ____________________ (can/get) another job elsewhere, but I can’t.

SECTION 5 (20 POINTS)
Correct the mistakes in the sentences.

1. How long do you know your teacher?
  2. This is the first time I eat honey with spaghetti.
  3. What have you done last night?
  4. I study English for four years.
  5. When have you got your hair cut?
  6. I have seen Peter yesterday.
Complete the text below with the appropriate tense of the verb in brackets. Read the text through first before writing your answers.
A CONTROVERSIAL COURT CASE
Cantor Fitzgerald __________________________ (be) tragically famous since September 11th 2001, when it ___________________________ (lose) 658 of its staff in the World Trade Centre. Recently, it __________________________ (appear) back in the news in Britain because one of its staff _________________________ (take) it to court for breach of contract. Steven Honkulak __________________________ (be) the managing director of interest rates derivatives, which is a highly stressful job but he _______________________ (earn) £400,000 plus bonuses. However, his boss, Lee Amaitis, who _____________________ (work) with the company for many years is a very tough and aggressive man. Mr Houkulak claims that Mr Amaitis regularly ___________________________ (threaten) to dismiss him and ______________________ (cause) him so much stress that he _____________________ (start) to drink and take medication. He finally _____________________ (leave) the company and _______________________ (ask) for £1m compensation. The company defended itself by saying ‘Mr Amaitis _________________________ (contribute) to the success of this company with his vision and hard work. Mr Honkulak, however ______________________ (want) the rewards of the senior position but his weakness made him unable to cope with the job.’ The judge awarded Mr Honkulak £1m, saying that there are no limits beyond which no employer should go.

Üst